The U.S. National Cathedral was completed 83 years (to the day!) after it was begun. It was begun September 29, 1907 and finished on September 29, 1990. The first track of land for the Cathedral site was purchased in 1898 for almost 250,000 dollars. It is the sixth largest cathedral in the world and the second largest in the nation. Only St. John’s in New York City is larger.
The total cost of building the Cathedral was 65 million dollars all raised through private donation. The Cathedral has a staff of 75 people as well as over 1000 volunteers keeping it operational and running. It welcomes nearly 700,000 visitors and worshipers annually.
- The height of the center tower is 30 stories call
- 3 state Funerals (Eisenhower, Reagan and Ford) have been held in the Cathedral
- Tthe Great Organ was built by Ernest Skinner and son installed in 1938. Organ has morre than 10,647 pipes
- More than 200 people are interred in the Cathedral including Woodrow Wilson and Helen Keller.
- There are 215 stained glass windows in the Cathedral.
- The Cathedral weighs 150, 000 tons, and the average weight of each stone used is 300 pounds.
- 288 angels adorn the two west towers.