Franklin Roosevelt was born January 30, 1882. His family made their family fortune in railroading and coal. He was trained to be a lawyer. He married Eleanor on St.Patrick day 1905. Roosevelt served as under secretary of the navy for 7 years.
Roosevelt was first became president on March 4,1933 . He remained president until his death on April 12, 1945. Roosevelt was president during the Great Depression, World War 2 and the dust stroms of the 1930’s. He started Social Security, child labor laws, Civilian Conservation Corp, Tennessee Valley Authority and the New Deal. During world war 2 he created the lend -lease program with England. The Lend lease program enabled He repealed Prohibition Act in 1933.
Franklin Roosevelt was a very determined person and great leader. He changed the Democratic party and the United States forever.
- The FDR memorial was dedicated by President Bill Clinton 1997.
- Inscribed in the memorial are 21 of FDR greatest quotes
- Red granite from South Dakota is the main stone the memorial is made from
- The memorial is made to be handicap accessible
- Roosevelt ask the press not to photograph him sitting in a wheel chair
- He was elected to four terms as president